Smart Food System, the Innovation of Food Safety through ICT Convergence
|Author||Hwang Won-Sik||Date||2014.09.22||Issue No||598|
Smart food system is one of the future growth engines where food industry and ICT are converged.
● Smart food system is a quality management system for agricultural and fisheries products and foods which can be traced and predicted on a real time basis by using u-convergence technology based on RFID.USN
Thanks to the rising interest in food safety and the advancement of dietary life, the application range of smart food system is expected to expand and its demand is prospected to grow constantly.
● Due to the growing number of food safety incidents on an annual basis, there is a growing demand of consumers for the management system aiming at the distribution and quality of food and food materials.
● As food demand in China is expected to increase sharply, there is an emerging opportunity for Korea to foster its food industry as one of the main export industries.
Global food enterprises in advanced countries are generating profits in the global food market by introducing smart food system in a systematic way.
● Korea is also trying to change its food industry to streamline the complicated agricultural product distribution stages and secure food safety.
Growth of food industry through the smart food system is prospected to take a lead in expanding the domestic agricultural fishery sector which is a downstream industry.
● Once the final demand for food industry increases 10% thanks to the rise in export and domestic demand, its spillover effect on agricultural and fishery industry is expected to bring about the production inducement effect reaching about 1.6 trillion won while having a significantly positive effect on the value added, employment and income rise of farmers.
It is necessary to create opportunity for the conventional agricultural and fishery industry and food enterprises to develop into export industries through the convergence with ICT, while it is critical to establish a strategic policy at a governmental level for the improvement of their industrial competitiveness.