Evolution of Digital Signage and its Economic Effect
|Author||Choi, Kwang Hun, lee, Kyoung sil||Date||2014.09.23||Issue No||599|
This study strives to examine digital signage from the historical perspective that it evolves in line with the living and civilization.
● Unlike the existing studies focusing on concept and technology, notably, this study suggests economic effect of digital signage as qualitative value, and analyzes the extent of evolution, that is to say, production·employment inducement effect for individual scenarios in accordance with the pace of growth.
Digital signage is a medium which shows various information including commercials through the tools such as kiosk·panel·display on the exterior wall of building in the public space.
Digital signage is evolving into a new direction by being combined with various smart technologies.
● Major trends are as follows: two way communication strengthening the interaction with users, the establishment of network with external objects such as network among human, device and web, the personalization of customized service and the virtual realization through the application of virtual reality.
● Digital signage changes the future urban design through the popularization of art contents which technology and culture are combined into, and has a feature of multi-faceted convergence as a base technology. Broad and various industries and enterprises participate in the digital signage, bringing about great spillover effect on other industries.
● Once the sector grows at a rapid pace, it would result in 32 trillion won production and create 120 thousand jobs in the entire industry by 2020.
Considering its industrial feature of multi-faceted convergence, it is urgent to establish a measure to unify the current policy implementation system that is distributed to individual ministries, and to make the system more efficient.
● From the perspective of internal industry, it is necessary to induce the win-win growth between large corporations and SMEs based on horizontal industrial structure.
The legal range of digital signage should not be limited to exterior sign board or simple sign light, but requires a multi-aspects approach by also giving consideration to the things such as aesthetic sculpture or smart equipment.
● Legal system is also essential to let digital signage function as a public medium in the public space.
In that digital signage would develop into the stage of personal recognition and autonomous intelligence once it is sophisticated further, it is necessary to establish a framework for its harmonization with personal information protection.
In conjunction with the trend of its standardization which is progressing in earnest at a global level, it is crucial for Korean government to respond promptly and provide aggressive support to dominate the standardization in advance and expand its market.